Thursday, February 5, 2009

I did it because I love it

Isn't it funny how some of the hardest things you have to do in life are usually the most worthwhile? Last Saturday I had a violin audition at BYU to get into the music program there. I was so nervous and I started to get that sick feeling inside where you just wish that it was over or that you could turn around and go home. But I didn't go home, I went through with it and it actually wasn't that bad.
Interestingly enough I realized afterwords that I never even had to go through with the audition in the first place. I could have simply said that I didn't want to do it, and that would have been it. I was talking with a teacher at my school and eventually I got around to telling him about the audition and how I hadn't even known I was going to do it until about a week and a half before the actual audition. He then proceeded to ask me why I had decided to do it even though I knew that I only had a little over a week to prepare. I told him- realizing this within myself as I said it- that my reasons for going through with this were because I was passionate about the violin and a simple stage fright wasn't going to back me down, because I knew that I would immensely regret it if I didn't do the audition. After I told him that, he looked at me with a sense of awe and admiration at my determination and will to succeed at something that I love so much.
It is not always going to be easy to accomplish the things that you want most in life, but I guess that is what is so special and unique to a person. Knowing what you want is just part of developing and maintaining your very own personality, allowing you to express yourself with a sense of confidence; and confidence is the key to your success.

No comments:

Post a Comment